
This picture pretty much says it all...I am a giant in a land of short people. When I lay down at night there's 6-8 inches of my feet hanging off the bed. When I hit my head, its usually on a door jamb and its usually the same door jamb I just ducked under neath to get into the room. And when I hit it, it hit it hard. Plus side to being a giant; I can see over very large crowds of people, I can reach very high cabinets that others would have to use a step stool to access an dI almost always get the driverside passenger seat in a car purely out of pity. Down side...I hurt my head every day.
But all in all it has been awesome since I stepped off the plane last tuesday here in Matsue. I've been busy filling out forms, which are almost always already filled out for me and only require that I take my hanku (stamp in katakana that acts as my signature) and stamp where needed, meeting many people, signing up for things such as internet and phone service and everyonce in a while, we (my peers and I) get to play with the kids.
Right now the kids are in their summer break so we doing fun stuff with day outings the Administration has set up that give the children a chance to better aquaint themselves with where they live and its history. Example, Yesterday we went to a historical dig, made the paper you find in "typical" japanese sliding screens doors and the local hotry museum of this area.
The picture is of a festival I attended last friday. While I am still not quite sure what we were celebrating, there ere food boths, stages for bands to play and a kick ass firework display that lasted an hour. And probably the coolest part, is I got to dress upa probably the coolest part, is I got to dress upa bit. Look at the picure closely and you can see I'm wearing a "jimbe" what is more or less a local summer "kimono". Neither of those are spelled right, but I'm winging it at an internet cafe right now.
Speaking of which, I've run out of time again. Once I get internet and phone service you'll hear from me more often as I'll be posting more regularly. The number of stories I have to tell already is overwhelming, and funny, but all in good time.
11.8.06
I hit my head everyday...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LUKE!!! im so excited for you. Its amazing how you are so willing to emmerse yourself in a culture that is so completely opposite of your own. Man, being a giant must be so cool. Im sure if i ever went over there i would blend right in, at least height wise.
side note: plans for a 17 day backpacking trip to italy are underway for me and jackie next summer. just trying to find a little culture for myself.
HEY BIG BROTHER!!!! Hope you're having a great time, although i'm sure you are. I'm excited for you and glad to hear that all is going well. If you feel like a giant I'm sure I would look even more out of place. It was good to hear from you, keep up the blogging!!
-Josh
hey your barber!!richard i seen your dad hes a hoot.he told me about your blogg. so i say hi have a good time.dont get married ha ha you know what i mean ha ha good luck
Post a Comment