25.10.07

TDL






So a couple of weeks ago, it finally happened. My cynical hippy friends will be disappointed and my young at heart friends will be delighted....why, because I finally got to visit Tokyo Disneyland. And not only did I get to go, but I got to do so with a small tribe of fun folks that made it a fantastic affair.



All pictures are thanks to
Ms. Muldoon and the Sakamoto's

as I completely forgot my camera...again




Over-Night-Train Land
That Friday after work, I headed to the grocery store, picked up a large amount of sushi and chocolate, and then went to the train station. There I hopped on the "Sunrise Express", the train I've taken any time I fly out of Japan, because it is the cheapest way to get to Tokyo...and to be honest, is a really nice "hotel train". After Shinji, the train stopped in Matsue, where McGill, Muldoon, Nick, Jenny, Tetsuo and Keiko hop aboard. Thirty minutes and a couple of stops later Janelle hops on, and off we head to the land where Mickey rules. I brought the sushi, and everyone else brought the booze. We commandeered a small nook designated for festive eating and had a ball.



Explanation Land
Keiko and Tetsuo Sakamoto (my Japanese Teacher and her husband, who have over the past several months also become great friends), spear headed this whole TDL campaign. You see, in Japan, around the New Year, family's send out these well wishing type cards.....that look similar to a postcard. On each card is a number. That number is basically a lottery number. And on New Years, or a couple of days later, on National Television a couple of these numbers are picked and broadcasted over TV and the radio. The winner gets, alot of money.

Some folks buy in bulk from stores, some customize. Keiko and Tetsuo are the like to customize, and do so by getting a picture of themselves printed on the cards they send out. The trick is this, the picture they put on the card is of the symbolic animal according to Chinese and Japanese calendars. This year is the pig...next year is the year of the rat, or mouse. See where I'm going with this.

Anyways, they wanted to go, as did a bunch of others, so it all worked out.


What's-Next Land


I woke up that morning early. Probably around 5:30. Not necessarily ideal, but fantastic, because for the first time in my life I got to see the sun rise over the Pacific as the coast of Japan whizzed by. Before t much longer we were in Tokyo and then Disney's Empire. Florida has Epcot and MGM, California has "California Adventure" and as of 6 years ago, Disney has "Disney Sea". Right next to "land", Disney sea is more of an older kids playground. Better attractions, a couple of cool rides, and food eateries galore. Its all based around an enormous pool of water with sections representing different countries and harbors. Its extremely well done as the detail, creative design are literally jaw dropping.


Long before we got to Disney in general, we were made aware that this just so happen to be the busiest weekend all year for the resort. I know what your thinking....and yes, we were crazy to go anyways, but to be honest, both days we got to do alot. We never had much down time, and thanks to our cumulative intelligence, never once spent longer than 30 minutes in a line....seriously.







EAT-ME Land

The food at Disney Sea was really good. I know I exaggerate sometimes, but honestly...it was highly enjoyable. There was a Mexican cantina with tender pork and red beans and "Modelo Especial". A big ol' steam liner replica with a restaurant dedicated to Teddy Roosevelt that served roast beef sandwiches (laugh if you will, but I can not get roast beef where I live...at all). Keiko found a spicy chicken joint that was super good. There were different flavored popcorn stands all over. (Bizarre flavors too, like Curry, Lemon, Honey, Cola Soda, etc..) and to end it all, ANOTHER completely different mexican joint with fajitas, more mexican beer, banana filled chimichangas and three mexicans playing authentic guitar music to boot!


Where-It-All-Started Land

Then came Sunday.

You know its going to be an interesting day when you arrive at the gates of Disneyland, see masses, I mean MASSES of people, and before you can even get to them....there's a check point stating that yes, indeed, "We have sold out of tickets for the day. Please try again at 5pm, or come back sometime!". Lucky we had bought our tickets ahead, again lucked into an extremely short entrance line, and were walking around the magical kingdom only 15 minutes after the gates opened.

So quite obviously we knew there was no way we could do everything we wanted, but like I said before, we did a lot. First and foremost, and my mom would be proud, was the "Tiki-room". It took a bit of convincing, and if I had realised (as I should have) that the dialogue was to be in Japanese, I might not of recommended it. "Where the birds sing words and the flower's bloom" is completely lost in translation.

Would-You-Look-At-That Land

Big-Thunder mountain was our first great thrill. We grabbed a fast pass first thing upon arrival that morning; Disney's way of reducing those with the ability to plan ahead a shorter wait time, and headed for The Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse (I think this is attraction is completely lost on most visitors). Then after the Tiki room, as we approached the ride, this is what we saw. A 2 hour wait for the ride itself, an hour wait to get a fast pass......and because of our fastpass, we waited no more than 15 minutes before we were walking out ready to do something else. Incredible.

That crowd in the picture, was not unique in any way. Every ride, every attraction, every photo point, every restaurant, bathroom and popcorn stand, had a line that would amaze anyone.


































Tom Sawyers Island, the Star Wars ride, Honey I shrunk the Audience...the random show or two. Trying on all the hats we could find. Eating more overpriced, mediocre, oddly flavored Japanese take on American food. Watching kids, big and small, get excited for whatever reason. It was a full day.

Back-to-Reality Land
The next morning we head off to the airport, caught a short flight pack to Shimane and just like that is was all over. We were all pretty tired, but good old Tetsuo and Keiko get the prize for hanging with us older kids. We wore them out so bad, that before the plane even took off from Tokyo they were out.

3 comments:

Momma.M said...

Sounds like a great time. Double thumbs up for Keiko and Tetsuo! Tiki Room in Japanese! I can only imagine.

Love you!

Kenneth said...

I would need 'Modelo Marijuano Especialo' to deal with that crowd.

mario said...

hey luke-san! tghis is mario from austria! now in switzerland. sorry for never emailing or calling...

i`ve somehow deleted your email address.. mine is mariozankl@hotmail.com
just a short message so that i can write back. son't wanna lose contact!

all the best b v m (barbara, valentin , mario)