23.3.07

A Mixed Bag

There has been much happening in school the past week or so. It started with the 3rd graders graduating last Tuesday. At the end of that week I was invited to attend the Kimachi Kindergarten graduation. Sure I think its a bit hokey for 5 year olds to "graduate", but the teacher of that graduating class is a great lady and working with her has been a amazing. Watching her celebrate her students onward move to elementary school was cool.

Then that afternoon it was announced what teachers would be leaving Shinji Junior High. I found out then, much to my dismay, that my favorite Japanese English teacher (we call them JTE's) was leaving. Ishikawa-sensei is my direct supervisor here at the school and all around great guy. We have a great working relationship and I consider him a friend.(Pretty sure that's reciprocated)

Wednesday was a national holiday in recognition of the Vernal Equinox.......how cool is that. Many of the Japanese visit their ancestors graves. Route 9, the main traffic artery of Shimane and on which I live right next to, was bumper to bumper stand still traffic for most of the day because of people going to their home towns and family graves.

That night was the end of a week long Irish promotion in Matsue. Days before the skies opened up and the sun shined down on the first ever St. Patricks day parade in the Shimane capital city. All of my Irish friends got roped into performing and promoting the event in which they did a hell of a job. I could try to explain why Matsue is trying to connect with their Irish roots, but that is a thesis paper all in itself. That Wednesday evening the end was celebrated by more performing, Guinness beer and a surprise performance. A group of Japanese thespians, preparing a rendition of Beauty and the Beast, sang the songs in full costume of their upcoming performance. Its was surreal...that's the only way to describe it.

Monday ushered in the last week of the Ishikawa/Moorhead team. In actuality we only taught 3 classes together yesterday, but made each other laugh while the kids just stared at us in wonder. Today, was the closing ceremony for school and farewell ceremony for the 7 teachers leaving. In addition to Ishikawa, 3 of the folks who are most friendly to me are taking off. (cue grimace). This upcoming school year is already showing proof of being another good challenge.

The blossom season is almost here. There are already hints of how absolutely amazing the next 2-3 weeks will be. If you've ever enjoyed the cherry blossoming in Washington DC imagine you can thank the Japanese who gave us those trees way back in 1912. The all of the Japanese islands are peppered with the cherry and plum trees and any new foreigner can already tell its going to be an awesome sight.

2 comments:

Mreejdbn said...

Cherry blossoms and Ishikawa at Icchu = two great things to look forward to in April! Will anything ever measure up to the dizzying heights and excitement of Irish week though?!

Ashuri said...

I'm sorry to hear about Ishikawa-sensei, but you seem to have a good attitude about the challenges ahead. This new school year is proving to be just that: NEW. I'm excited. I hope you're having a fantastic time at home, Japan will be happy to see you safely returned!!