20.2.07

Just getting something out there

This is how I know I could never make a career as a writer. Its been damn near three weeks since I last threw anything on here. Plenty has happened. Much worth mentioning. Somehow though I have convinced myself that these entries have to be too many things all at the same time.

I imagine the folks who read this just want to know whats happening over here. How does this simple concept get lost in writing.

Last week was Valentines day. I have actually never had a girlfriend or "Valentine" on this day so it only gives me a moments pause when once a year it comes to that time. I have had some fun dates with friends in the past. Taking Andee to a drive-in two hours outside of lubbock, making chelsea the first ever "Luke's Strawberry-Heart Cake" and then that one time in highschool where I bought 5 or 6 roses for 5 or 6 of my good friends.

This year, and I swear this is true, I forgot Valentines came in February. So imagine my surprise when in school last Wednesday, giggling girls came up and started handing me small bags of homemade cookies, cakes, chocolates and sweets. In all I got 15 different gifts, the other teachers thought it was damn near hysterical. I myself was completely embarrassed....what do you do? So, I just started tossing out side hugs....which only increased the volume and amount of giggling. Here, boys don't do anything on V-day. They aren't even expected to. Lucky punks.


The weekend before that some friends and I went to Hakuba (Nagano), for a nice ski break. Good skiing, its got NOTHING on Grand Targhee, but all the same, it was nice to get some good skiing in.


School life is getting exciting here in Japan. The junior high san-nensei are now less than a month away from graduating. My classes with them now are taking a much more relaxed conversational approach as they are studying hard for their selected highschool entrance exam. I've been trying to offer some extra curricular activities the past month or so.....but no one is biting, they're all scared straight that if they do not study during all their spare time, they will not get into the HS they want. Might be true, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

1 comments:

Ashuri said...

Just a warning: In Japan, "White Day" is March 3rd, it is the day when boys are supposed to recipricate Valentine's Day. I don't really get it, but I bet if you make something for all those giggly girls, they will go NUTS. Caramel corn...? Ehh? nudge,nudge...